Great House

Great House
Sunsets, Stars, and R&R Also, enjoy my collections of food, wine, and design links and blogs that I love.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Need to Satisfy

Being in the B and B business allows for all kinds of interest.  They all revolve around service but can be many things.  As the Innkeeper I get to do all the things I love to do, all the things I like to do, all the things I will do, and all the things I have to do.  The good news is it is a sliding scale that goes from large loves to small have to dos.  Number one love has to be the "need to satisfy."  "Satisfy" can take on many directions in a B&B.  Today I want to focus on satisfying the love of a great breakfast and a morning that can set the tone for a great day.

When I book a reservation one of the first questions I ask is "Do you have any food allergies?"  Most people are taken aback by this.  Some people have even written in reviews about the fact that I ask this question.  I am not a full service restaurant, but I do aim to please--back to "satisfy".  I have run into many different answers to this question.  Some people are gluten free, some allergic to eggs, strawberries, bananas, nuts, etc.  You know what?  It's really not that hard to work around these issues.  After having dealt with all the allergies there are many other questions.  You know what?  We all don't drink 4-5 cups of coffee every morning any more, however, SOME of us do.  Some of us have had 3 cups before we come to breakfast.  So asking, "Do you want coffee at Breakfast?" is a very important question.  Oh, and then there is the question, "Are you coming to breakfast?"  Funny, but there are a few people who book at a  B&B and never mean to come to breakfast.     So do you get how we get into "The need to satisfy?"

Now, my latest discovery in satisfying my guests.  When you ask about the allergies they all say "no".  Then you prepare the most beautiful gourmet breakfast and set it down in front of them and they say, "the only two things I don't eat are bananas and pecans."  This is right after a beautiful presentation of my Bananas Foster French Toast.  This has nothing to do with allergies, it has to do with "I don't like."  Another "I don't like" can often be eggs.  Therefore, I always have on hand my wonderful homemade Granola and a variety of fruit.  That doesn't mean they don't like your thyme potatoes though. So just remember you are there to satisfy.  Satisfy an allergy, satisfy a want, and satisfy a need.  The glory of the need to satisfy for any and all.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment